A 5 Minute Overview Of
Social Media Marketing Workbook 2023
About the Author
Jason Mcdonald is a teacher, corporate trainer, and social media consultant. He teaches social media marketing classes at Stanford University's Continuing Studies department, where he is an Adjunct Professor. He also appears as an expert witness on Internet marketing in court. His consulting company, JM Internet Group, works with selected companies to optimize their online marketing. He previously worked as a corporate trainer, as a social media trainer, and as a senior editor for an engineering publication. Jason McDonald is a graduate of the University of California, Berkeley and Harvard University. The author's website is at: www.JasonMcDonald.org. ISBN 978-1-77687-098-1
The Main Idea
The best way to view social media marketing (SMM) is it's a party with a purpose, and you're the party organizer. You've got to make sure you throw great virtual parties, because social media users want to have fun first and foremost.
The art and science of throwing great parties on social media is you have to focus on three things to be successful:
- Send out great invitations to your party — by doing smart promotions. SMM requires having a great promotion strategy.
- Provide your guests with food and entertainment — SMM requires having a great content marketing strategy so you generate enough content that people will want to stay at your party.
- Look after hosting duties and ongoing management — SMM requires that you provide good behind-the-scenes management to keep things running smoothly, and also to deal with rude guests or party gatecrashers.
Do these three things well and you can throw a great 24/7 online party that either builds your brand or generates direct sales. SMM is all about throwing a party with a purpose. Don't think and grow rich — party on and grow rich.
Sections in this Books
1. Build your content pipeline & marketing machine first. If social media marketing is about throwing great parties, then content is the food and entertainment. To excel at SMM, you need to create and maintain a content marketing machine. You need to fill the social media pipeline with ongoing great content to keep the party fizzing along.
2. Learn how to send out platform specific invites. Learn where your customers are currently congregating, and use the social media platform that will reach them to invite them to your party. More than likely, the most effective social media platform for you will be one of the big eight:
3. Run a great party and then follow up by email. Getting followers on social media is one thing, but getting people to give you their real e-mail address is another level. The people who do that are those most likely to become your superfans, to be your micro-influencers, and to buy your stuff in the future. Send awesome email follow-ups that are intimate and valuable. Build your email list — it will be your most valuable digital asset.
- Social media marketing is all about throwing great online parties, and you're the party organizer. Throw a party with a purpose.
- Social media users want to have fun. Help them do that, and you're half way there.
- Social media marketing = Content marketing, On Steroids. Build your content pipeline before you start.
Summaries.Com Editor's Comments
How do you succeed at social media marketing in 2023? The key is to view social media marketing as a party, and you're the party organizer. Throw great online parties, and then follow up by email 1:1. That's the million-dollar idea from this week's business book: SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING WORKBOOK 2023. It was written by social media marketing guru Jason McDonald, who has taught a class at Stanford University on this topic for years now.
As with anything, there's an art and science to throwing great parties on social media. You have to send out great invitations, provide your guests with amazing content (the food and entertainment of the party), look after all the housekeeping duties to make sure things run smoothly, and then follow up with the people who want to know more. Simple, right? Well, as with most things in life and business especially, the devil is in the details, and that's where this book really excels. It provides platform specific hints and suggestions, as well as the overall big picture ideas and concepts.
If you've always assumed social media is an amazing waste of time with people posting photos of what they're eating for dinner, maybe this book will change your mind. Social media just might be a worthwhile marketing tool. Read the book and see what you think. It seems like using social media for content marketing works. Maybe "Think and Grow Rich" has been superseded by "Party and Grow Rich". Great book.
Want in-depth 30-minute summaries?
In addition to this 5-minute overview, Summaries.Com has a premium 30-minute summary of this book and 1,000+ more, to help you advance your career and business.Check Out Summaries.com Premium Plans Today!
Want more 5-minute Snapshots?
To get a new 5-minute business book snapshot each week, sign up for the Summaries.com free plan.Sign Up for the Summaries.com Free Plan
Social Media Marketing Collection
If you enjoyed this summary, here is a collection of related business book summaries, to help you get ideas and strategies that will give you an edge over your competition.
This mini-course will give you ideas on how to harness social media for marketing purposes.Buy Social Media Marketing Collection (5 x 30-Min Summaries)
Social Media Marketing Workbook 2023
by Jason Mcdonald
One Million Followers
How I Built a Massive Social Following in 30 Days
by Brendan Kane
Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook
How to Tell Your Story in a Noisy Social World
by Gary Vaynerchuk
The Power of Visual Storytelling
How to Use Visuals, Videos and Social Media to Market Your Brand
by Ekaterina Walter and Jessica Gioglio
Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs
by Brian Halligan and Dharmesh Shah